Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What Kind of Cleanse I'm Doing - Part (-1)

(I'm suggesting you begin reading this series on the 2010 Rosh Hashana Cleanse with Part (-2) and go in order. It'll make more sense. Enjoy.)

Now, I've done fasts and cleanses in the past. I fast for 25 hours every Yom Kippur and four times in the last 3 years I've done the Master Cleanser “Lemonade Diet” - usually for 8-10 days. I strangely enjoy them. Perhaps it's the masochist in me, but I get some great things out of them. Yes, part of me wants to lose weight, but I rarely do. While there's some discomfort at first, I don't have those hours after a meal where I feel bloated, tired and without motivation. I hope it'll be less expensive than my regular diet (it is but not by a lot, if I'm eating at home normally). I would like to think I'm cleaning out some toxins, though all my doctor and scientist friends say there is no basis medically for that argument. I do think I'm giving my internal organs a little 'rest' which is good. And I don't always eat food that's good for me. And I do think I generally over-eat (like most Americans).

But one thing I know for sure…

Normally, I am rarely conscious in my eating. Not only do I graze on things I don't need. But I have come to eat for comfort, more than I ever have. I'll binge when I get stoned, because it's so damned pleasurable. And I'll eat while doing other things. And the one thing I know fasts and cleanses do, is to make me conscious of what and how I eat when I return to food again.

So I thought maybe this year I'll fast not just on the day of Gedalia and Yom Kippur, but I'll cleanse myself the entire 10-day period from Rosh Hashana until Yom Kippur.

Now I did a Master Cleanser as recently as June this year, just three months ago, so I thought I'd try a different cleanse, but I didn't find anything that turned me on and I'm suspicious of the cleanses that require you to buy expensive supplements. However crazy The Master Cleanser is. The guy who designed it, basically gave it away. He motives were directly spiritual, not material. And I've got a lot of respect for that.

But this time I'm just going to improvise it all:

Here is the nutritional component to my cleansing.

I've bought this all the day before Rosh Hashana.

By the time I finish my fast, I will have consumed (in juice form):

20 pounds of apples
15 pounds of carrots
7 bananas
5 (32 oz.) bottled smoothies (Naked Juice and Boathouse)most of which are 1/3 apple juice and contain 1 banana.
5 pounds of grapefruit
3 pounds of strawberries
3 stalks of celery
1 gallon of orange juice
1 liter of pomegranate juice

No comments:

Post a Comment